Monday 11 April 2011

A song and a rhyme.

Poets have a very special place in Hungarian culture. Many are remembered in history not only for reflecting on events but for using their words to inspire revolutions. There are lots of institutions, streets and public spaces named after poets.

Today is poetry day in Hungary. It is the birthday of József Attila, one of the most respected Hungarian poets. He was born on 11th April 1905.  In honour of the occasion Lily wanted to share one of her favourite rhymes with you. It is very simple so maybe you could even learn to sing it in Hungarian.






Süss fel nap!

Süss fel nap,
fényes nap,
kertek alatt kis ludaim megfagynak.

(traditional)
Shine sun

Shine sun,
Bright sun!
My little geese are freezing in the garden.
(translation: Liliom Valter)

Pronunciation notes:
Hungarian "s" = English "sh"
ü = oo
é = ay
ny = n (like in news)
gy = d (like in duke)




Here is the music for "Süss fel nap!" if you would like to try to play it too.
Courtesy of mamalisa.com




József Attila studied at the University of Szeged, were Jen (Lily's mum) goes to university at the moment. There is a statue of him on one of the squares in the city centre.

Since it is his birthday today then there is not better poem of his to share with you than one titled "On My Birthday".
On My Birthday

To end my thirty-second year
I wrote myself a souvenir –
a prize
surprise:

a quick impromptu memoir
saluting in this coffee-bar
my birth
on earth.

Thirty two years...Without a doubt
what Hungary has doled me out
was not
a lot

I could have been a teacher, but
I wear my pencils to the butt
for just
a crust,

for I was sent down from Szeged
by the provost, that old egghead,
a so
and so

who picked on my “With a Pure Heart”.-
To save the Nation from my art
he barred
the bard

and drew his sword against my kind.
His words deserve to be enshrined
to shame
his name:

“Until I must give up the ghost
don’t dream of any teaching post”-
I quote,
unquote.

So what matter if I am banned
from Prof. A. Horger’s graduand
grammar
crammer?

I’ll  teach my people one and all,
much greater things than what you call
college
knowledge.

Attila József, 1937 (translated by Peter Zollman)
Sign reads "Szeged University, József Attila Study and Information Center"


No comments:

Post a Comment